Rice University logo
Top blue bar image The OISS Blog
Get the inside scoop on OISS

No More DPS Letters!

In June 2011, DPS changed the identification requirements for F-1 and J-1 students.  Now, you no longer need a letter from the OISS to apply for your driver’s license or Texas ID!  Instead, just take your I-20 (or DS-2019), valid passport, visa stamp (unless you’re Canadian) and I-94 card to go and apply.  If you’re not on an F or J visa, you’re welcome to see what the identification requirements are by visa type here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/documents/ImmigrationStatusChart.pdf

If you need a letter for any other purpose from our office (i.e. Social Security, invitation letters for your family to visit, bank letters, etc.), please don’t forget that our new policy requires that you request the letter 24 hours in advance.  You can do so by emailing us anytime at: oiss@rice.edu.

Leave a Reply

Skip to toolbar