Rice University logo

Top blue bar image The OISS Blog
Get the inside scoop on OISS

From Ni Hao to Howdy!: China Visit Update

It has been an amazing 10 days in China! After leaving Shanghai, I spent a day in Tianjin and met with wonderful university officials from Nankai University and Tianjin University. I learned so much about their universities and the great work they are doing.

Then I was off to Beijing where I had the opportunity to meet other university representatives from Tsinghua china-2University and Renmin University. These were also were very exciting visits, and I feel so fortunate to have walked in some of the places where some of our wonderful Rice internationals have studied and conducted research.

I have also had the unforgettable opportunity to see amazing sights in and around Beijing, such as the Great Wall, the Forbidden City and other outstanding cultural and historical sights.

However, the highlights were seeing Rice students at the receptions in Shanghai and Beijing. I just left the reception in Beijing and it was incredible! There were incoming and current students (graduate and undergraduate), exchange students, Beijing-Rice alumni leaders, US students studying and working abroad, and parents & family members.  It was really impressive to see three of the new students who had made the trip to the reception in Shanghai, and then came to the one in Beijing! That is true dedication!

The current students fielded questions from the new students and parents, and the responses were great. Afterwards, I was talking with the current students about how nervous they were just a year ago, and now they look so relaxed, confident and happy. They really enjoyed sharing their experiences . . . and the new students and families appreciated their wisdom. We had such great discussions that they had to kick us out of the room! 🙂

china5I am so grateful, also, to the Beijing alumni leaders, who do so much to add to the Rice community here in Beijing. Thank you, Jo Ling Kent and Arthur Yan! How fantastic it was to see you all in Beijing!

Tomorrow I leave to return home, and am happy to see my family, however, I take with me so many memories of the beauty of this country and the people. Most of all, however, I carry back with me the amazing “Rice community” that is shared all over the world. What an honor it is to work with the wonderful staff of the OISS, and to meet the truly best and brightest students – the Rice international community.

Finally, I want to give a special expression of appreciation to Dean Paula Sanders and her office, the Office of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies. They co-sponsored both receptions with the OISS, which made all the difference for us. Thank you, Dean Sanders and your office!!

Hope to see you soon in Houston, TX! Adria Baker

china11

Written by Adria Baker, Executive Director

Tags: